12 Avr Another ISO Standard! IEEE-ISO 82 079
Are you a competent technical communicator?
The creation of information for use shall be assigned to competent persons (*)
(*) ISO 82079 -article 10.1
Are you a competent person?
Sure you are… because you love writing. That’s why you decided to move to technical writing.
If you excel at English composition, you might be competent as a novelist, but it might not be sufficient for a technical writer’s career.
Indeed, IEEE/ISO 82079 (2019 version) lists 13 « Task-related competencies » and recommends: « To maximize the comprehensibility and safe use of a product, tasks related to information for use shall be assigned to competent persons. »
What are these task-related competencies?
They are probably extremely familiar to you:
- Conduct research and analyse the life cycle of the product, the target audience, the language(s) in which the information will be used
- Develop standard processes and methods for developing information products
- Develop a content strategy and a concept for the media for delivery of the information for use
- Implement necessary enabling systems …for content management
- Gather safety-related information from the developers
- Develop written, audio or visual content
- Perform proof-reading and checking of the information for use
- Use the appropriate methodologies and tools to make the information management process more efficient and effective
- Organize translation and localisation
- Approve and test information for use (format, functional quality & usability)
- Produce output media or instructional applications…and make the information for use ready for delivery
- Analyse the way in which the target audience benefits from the information for use (website statistics, empirical tests, social media feedback)
- Provide leadership, make project plans, manage service providers, communicate with developers
Good writing is definitely not enough to be qualified as « competent person. »
Want to learn more about IEEE-ISO 82 079?
Watch our IXIAtalks webinar recording with Marie-Louise Flacke from Awel-a-Ben and Nolwenn Kerzreho from IXIASOFT to learn more about competencies, minimalism, safety messages, and three new information types related to IEEE-ISO 82 079!
Documentation Specialist and Instructor at Awel-A-Ben
This article was originally published on Marie-Louise Flacke’s website. Check it out here.Back